A Jail Story

>> Monday, September 22, 2008

Last week my sister and I went to visit a friend in jail. (Well, actually, more of Verity’s friend than mine, but she won’t go to the jail alone). Next to us in the visiting area were two sisters and their kids. They were visiting one of the sister’s husband/boyfriend/baby-daddy. When the visit was over, the 4 year old boy was just screaming and crying because he didn’t want to leave his daddy. On the way back to the elevators, Ver and I were talking about our families with a lady and her niece that had been visiting someone on the other side of us. The niece (about 15 years old) was FLOORED, FLABERGASTED, and just plain AMAZED that Verity and I have the same MOM and DAD, and that we have two more siblings…from the same MOM and DAD! She was so shocked that we didn’t even bother to tell them that they were actually married too!

You always hear about the break down of the family, but this was the first time I have ever been confronted by someone who thought that a “normal” family set up was extremely “abnormal”.

3 comments:

Bringhurst Family 7:00 AM  

I was surprised when I was having Maya and I was in the hospital and I was the only woman there with a husband that I saw. And most were teenagers with their mothers.

Pancake 7:22 AM  

WOW, I never thought I would hear of the day when marriage and siblings (from the same parents none the less) was ABNORMAL!

Garbett Family 2:11 PM  

Pretty sad isn't it? I think we all at times wonder how "normal" our families really are, but this really puts things in perspective doesn't it! What a neat chance to be an example, in an elevator at the jail house! Michael and I drove straight to the hotel after our wedding reception, so of course we were dressed in the dress/tux. The only comment we had from any staff (and this was a very nice Merriot) was to ask how many children we had! We were stunned!

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP