Where Have I Been?

>> Friday, September 05, 2008

It has been a while, but between the Democratic National Convention and my new bike (the pedal kind), I just haven’t had ANY time to think about anything that would be worth reading.

The DNC was extremely anti-climatic for me. I didn’t see anyone famous (though I wasn’t looking either). The best part of the DNC for me was that it was the first time I ever rode my bike all the way to work when it wasn’t bike to work day. It is only 15 miles. I didn’t ride it home though; I put it on the express bus with me and then rode it home from the stop.

I did ride to AND from work yesterday as well. I love bike riding. I think it all depends on the bike though. The first time I rode a bike to work (on a bike to work day), it was my brother’s Mountain Bike. After 5 miles, I was done. I could barely move, walk, sit, sleep…anything for a whole week after that. I was even in VERY good shape then. After those five miles I walked it over to the bus stop a few blocks away and put it on the bus the rest of the way downtown.

My new bike is a hybrid. I love it. It isn’t as FABULOUS as a road bike, but even being as out of shape as I am, I rode it to work after only 2 days of having it. AMAZING!

This brings me to my preferred way of getting in shape. It does not involve gyms and diets and training logs and protein tide me over drinks. When I finally feel like I need a boost to get in shape, I just start doing what people that are already in shape are doing. My only stipulation is that it has to have a purpose beyond “getting in shape”. Like I really don’t like running, but playing basketball…perfect….running with a purpose. Biking just for fun….not so much. Biking to work = Biking with a purpose. Gym = no alternative purpose. Diet = no alternative purpose. Thoughts?

6 comments:

Bringhurst Family 5:34 PM  

Well I like the GYM but I have constraints like kids and super unbearable weather for exercise. Also I don't usually do "Diets" except right after a baby. Otherwise, I just portion control(don't eat like a cow).

Kerry 9:53 PM  

What kind of bike is a hybrid? Is that what it is called? I got a bike for my birthday,and it isn't a mountain bike or a road bike.I can't think of what it is called. I am not sure if it fits me very well though. And I need a bigger bike seat...or a smaller rear...whichever will make it more comfortable!

Garbett Family 10:44 PM  

Ahh, the joys of being a woman in a society where we need to be super fit. I am currently doing weight watchers, trying to bust off 60 lbs. of post-baby weight. It sucks. No other way to put it. We finally bought a treadmill, and I f=run while watching movies on the computer... (After the boys are in bed.) It works well, keeps me from getting too bored! Join thintopia with me! Go to www.thintopia.com to check it out. My friend's brother created it. I am currently doing "Motivational Weightloss II"

Garbett Family 10:46 PM  

Okay, that f=run wasn't supposed to be bad. I wrote fun instead of run and obviously didn't delete it well... :)

Hannah Corcos 12:18 PM  

That is so a Linnea thing to say.

:-) I have to agree though dieting? There is NEVER a purpose with that.

xoxox

Hannah Corcos 12:18 PM  

That is so a Linnea thing to say.

:-) I have to agree though dieting? There is NEVER a purpose with that.

xoxox

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP